OMB Control Number: 3060-0634 October 2020
Title: Section 73.691, Visual Modulation Monitoring
1. 47 CFR Section 73.691(b) requires TV stations to enter into the station log the date and time of the initial technical problems that make it impossible to operate a TV station in accordance with the timing and carrier level tolerance requirements. If this operation at variance is expected to exceed 10 consecutive days, a notification must be sent to the FCC. The licensee must also notify the FCC upon restoration of normal operations. If causes beyond the control of the licensee prevent restoration of normal operations within 30 days, a written request must be made to the FCC.
The Commission is requesting an extension of this information collection in order to receive the full three year OMB clearance/approval for this collection of information.
This information collection does not affect individuals or households; thus, there are no impacts under the Privacy Act.
Statutory authority for this collection of information is contained in Section 154(i) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended.
2. FCC staff use the data to maintain accurate and complete technical information about a station's operation. In the event that a complaint is received from the public regarding a station's operation, this information is necessary to provide an accurate response.
3. This is a simple notification/letter. We do not believe the use of information technology is feasible in this situation.
4. This agency does not impose a similar information collection on the respondents. There is no similar data available.
5. In conformance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, the Commission is making an effort to minimize the burden on all respondents. Therefore, this information collection will not have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities/businesses.
6. The frequency for this collection of information is determined by stations operating out-of-tolerance.
7. This collection of information is consistent with the guidelines in 5 CFR 1320.5(d)(2).
8. The Commission published a Notice (85 FR 52996) in the Federal Register on August 27, 2020 seeking comments on the information collection requirements contained in this collection. No comments were received from the public as a result of the Notice.
9. No payment or gift was provided to the respondents.
10. There is no need for confidentiality with this collection of information.
11. This collection of information does not address any private matters of a sensitive nature.
12. Annually, we estimate that a total of 50 TV stations will have technical problems. Licensees will file two (2) notifications per station with an average burden of one (1) hour to record the date and time of the initial technical problems and to prepare and file a notification with the FCC. In addition, six (6) licensees of the 50 licensees will file letters outlining the causes beyond their control that prevent restoration of normal operations within 30 days. This estimate is based on FCC staff's knowledge and familiarity with the availability of the data required.
Total Number of Annual Respondents: 50 TV Stations
Total Number of Annual Responses:
50 stations x 2 notifications/station = 100 notifications + 6 letters outlining causes that prevent restoration of normal operations = 106 responses
Total Annual Burden Hours:
50 TV stations x 2 notifications/station x 1.0 hour = 100 hours
6 TV stations x 1 letter/station x 1.0 hour = 6 hours
Annual “In-house Cost”: It is assumed that the respondent would use a station engineer at $48.08/hour to prepare the notification.
50 TV stations x 2 notifications/station x 1.0 hour x $48.08/hour = $4,808.00
6 TV stations x 1 letter/station x 1.0 hour x $48.08/hour = $ 288.48
Total Annual “In-house Cost”: = $5,096.48
13. Annual Cost Burden: No annual outside cost.
14. Cost to the Federal Government. The Commission will use paraprofessional staff at the GS-11, step 5 level ($39.12/hour) to process these notifications/letters.
$39.12/hour x 0.083 hours x 50 TV stations x 2 notifications = $324.70
$39.12/hour x 0.083 hours x 6 TV stations x 1 letter/station = $ 19.48
Total Cost to the Federal Government: $344.18
15. There are no program changes to this collection. There are adjustments to this information collection as follows: 30 to the number of respondents, 60 to the annual responses and 60 to the annual burden hours.
16. The data will not be published.
17. OMB approval of the expiration of the information collection will be displayed at 47 CFR Section 0.408.
18. There are no exceptions to the Certification Statement.
No statistical methods are employed.
|File Title||SUPPORTING STATEMENT|